Every AT-AT I’ve ever seen in the Star Wars movies and video games has been gray. Is the Empire really that hard up for paint? Built from the Bandai 1/144 scale kit.
Announcing the opening of Don Stok Vo Kart, an online shop where the world can buy my unique and handmade models and dioramas of menacing monsters, silvery spaceships, vacated vehicles and weird war machines. Each creation takes time and care, and I’ll update the inventory as finishing touches are made.
Re-issues of the Aurora monster model kits of the 1960s continue. Now a company called Atlantis owns the molds (or some of them). After 56 years of use, this kit’s mold is pretty worn out. That was evident with the amount of flash – the plastic the seeps out between the two halves of the mold – the sprues had on them. A little extra cutting and sanding fixed that.
The figure was built and painted right out of the box. For the base, I used some extras to make the surfaces mossy and rusty. Wasn’t sure how to do the lettering on the base until I thought of using a paint marker.
I created an Etsy shop to sell some of my models. The shop name is Don Stok VoKart and you can find it here.
This diorama started as a father/son project, the Polar Lights kit of the 1966 Batmobile in 1:25 scale. Because it was a snap-together kit, I thought it would be easy. Nope. Some of the parts and decals were tiny. It was too complicated for 4th grader to put together, even with help.
I set the kit aside for years and, by the time I came back to it, the axles had gone missing. Rather than trash it, I decided to make it a wreck. That solved the missing parts problem and allowed me to create my unique take on the subject. Building a wreck also suits my working style which is trial and error. Here I could try a weathering effect and, if it didn’t work out, I could scrape it off or go over it. With a pristine model, one mistake can ruin the whole thing.
The diorama base is a cutting board I found at a dollar store. The ground is plaster of Paris over foam, painted with cheap acrylics. I kept the colors to a tight orange and red range to fit with the red-orange trim of the car. Scenic materials from Woodland Scenics provided the ground cover and vegetation.
I found that if I mixed Elmer’s glue with acrylic paint and threw in some of the ground cover material, it would dry to a slightly lumpy fuzz that looked like plant debris. The tires and shipping pallet are from a car modelling accessory kit. They’re actually 1:24 scale, but that’s close enough.
Cutting the side border was a real effort. I had to put the basswood strip up against the diorama, draw a crude outline with a pencil, then cut the wood with an X-acto knife. Luckily, the irregularity of the terrain gave me some leeway. But, next time I do a diorama like this, I’ll put the border down first and make the terrain fit the border.
I’m pleased with how this turned out and it’s given me ideas for more wreck dioramas. I I don’t have space to keep everything I build so I opened an Etsy shop so my creations can find good homes.
October’s prompt was Girl Power and my mind went to robots. My first inspiration was Maria from the 1927 silent film Metropolis. As the character developed, I pulled in elements of the 1920 silent, The Golem. And ultimately she ended up taking on elements of the Garbage Pail Kids.